• Try outs for Ten Little Chipmunks Wednesday, August 16th and Thursday, August 17th!

• Check out upcoming events on our homepage!

The student news site of Warren Central High School

Norsestar Newspaper

Ten Things to Do Over Spring Break

Abigail Taylor, Writer

Are you having trouble deciding what to do during Spring Break? Break away from Netflix binging and browsing the Internet. You can have a week full of adventure and excitement by doing any of the following:

1. Go on a hike – Hiking is a great way to get outside during spring break. Get together with some friends, and take a day to get outside and appreciate nature. Some local hiking trails are the Vicksburg National Military Park Hiking Trail and the Natchez Trace Parkway Cypress Swamp Hike.
  2. Read a book – If you are not the outdoorsy type, you can stay in and read a book. Click here for a list of options if you cannot decide what to read.
  3. Have a movie marathon – Having a movie marathon is also something you can do if you would rather stay inside. Grab some popcorn and watch a collection of your favorite movies, or take this opportunity to watch a series you have never seen before.
  4. Build a fort – Remember the good old days when you built blanket forts in the living room and pretended the floor was lava? If you have not had the pleasure, it is never too late! Gather all the blankets and pillows you can find, and take a trip down memory lane. (Bonus: Try having your movie marathon inside the fort.)
  5. Go to a concert – If you are a music lover and do not mind large, screaming crowds, then perhaps going to a concert would be a good way to spend your break. Check out ticketmaster.com to find out what artists are playing near Vicksburg, or crank up some music at home and have your own concert.
  6. Go camping – You will need a tent, flashlights, bug spray, and a love for the outdoors. Find a spot to camp out, tell some scary stories, and make s’mores. You can camp out at Battlefield Campgrounds, Rivertown Campground, or in your own backyard. (Bonus: Pretend like you are on a survival show. This makes the experience ten times more exciting.)
  7. Have  a “Staycation” – If you cannot travel during spring break, you can have a vacation right here in Vicksburg. Visit museums like the Battlefield Museum or the Old Courthouse Museum. Go to a nice restaurant like Beechwood or 10 South. Spend time exploring places in Vicksburg that you have never visited.
  8. Go to the beach – Do you wish it were already summertime? Lucky for you, Mississippi is hot enough for a trip to the beach during spring break. Drive down to Biloxi and you can swim, tan, or build sandcastles all break long.
  9. Go thrift shopping – It is no secret that we cannot all afford to go on a grand, luxurious shopping spree, but thrift shopping is a great substitute. You can even give some clothes a makeover to add your own personal style. Some thrift stores you can visit in Vicksburg are The Warehouse and the River City Rescue Mission.
  10. Have a family game night – Get your family together, and dust off the old board games. A family game night is a fantastic way to bond with your family. However, try to stay away from Monopoly unless you want to hear Boardwalk bragging rights all night long.