• Try outs for Ten Little Chipmunks Wednesday, August 16th and Thursday, August 17th!

• Check out upcoming events on our homepage!

The student news site of Warren Central High School

Norsestar Newspaper

Putting Their Way to State

Warren Central’s Karley Whittington winds up to hit a tee shot during the Region 3, Class III girls golf tournament Thursday at Clear Creek Golf Course. Whittington shot a 71 to earn medalist honors, and the Lady Vikes beat Clinton for the team title. (Ernest Bowker/The Vicksburg Post)

Schuyler Byrd, Writer

With springtime just around the corner, Warren Central’s girls and boys golf teams are working hard to get to state. So far, both teams have practiced everyday they have been able to and have attended five tournies. The girls team played against Hattiesburg at Canebrake Country Club on February 27th, hosted the WC tourney at Clear Creek on March 20th, and played against Clinton at Live Oaks Golf Club on March 27th. Junior Varsity Boys played Germantown at Whisper Lake on March 6th while the varsity team played Clinton at Live Oaks Golf Club on March 21st. The girls and boys team both played Northwest Rankin at Bay Pointe Resort and Golf Club on March 7th. So far, only Karley Whittington, a junior on the golf team, of the girl’s team shot 77, which clinched first place at their tourney against Clinton on March 27th. The girl’s team had an overall score of 178. At the Hattiesburg, Warren Central, and Northwest Rankin tournaments, Whittington scored second place.

The teams have not let their disappointment beat them and are still eager to make their way to State. “The team has done pretty good so far,” remarked Mia Wamsley, a junior at Warren Central, “… We’ve been practicing everyday from about 3 or 4 to 7 o’clock. Our coach does a really good job of helping us out and making sure what have what we need in order to play our best. We plan to achieve State by practicing everyday during the on and off season. We also run drills over and over again to make sure we nail down our weak spots,” explained Wamsley. When asked about the team’s progress, Mack Foley, another junior, said, “We’ve done the best we can. We’re not amazing. I believe we’re good but we just need a little work.” Likewise, Foley mentioned that the boy’s team has scored 90’s at most of their last tournies. “In order to make state, the team must shoot 164 which is the team’s primary goal.” On preparation, Foley replied with, “We’ve been practicing almost every day. Some days we’ll get unlucky and our practice will get rained out but we haven’t had much issue with the rain this year, thankfully.” Foley said that to achieve state, they hope to have 4 out of 5 golfers on a varsity tournament in district and be on their A-game.”

The girl’s and boy’s team both certainly seem eager to win and with their determination and spirit, they will hopefully make it to state. Best of luck, WC Golf team!