• Try outs for Ten Little Chipmunks Wednesday, August 16th and Thursday, August 17th!

• Check out upcoming events on our homepage!

The student news site of Warren Central High School

Norsestar Newspaper

Blue Looks Best in the Spring

Aaliyah James, Writer

Warren Central’s Big Blue Band’s Spring Concert was pretty sharp this year. This concert is the last one for the year,  and it was very important to all those who participated, especially the seniors. However, this year the concert was also special for someone else. The concert was dedicated to Chris Beard, a former Big Blue Band member. Chris recently passed away in a serious car accident. His wife and four children need a lot of help with all the expenses that were left behind. Donations were taken at the concert and 100% of the proceeds were given to Chris’s family, who were also in attendance. This concert is an example of how the band is a family. In times of need, we all come together to support each other. Once Big Blue, always Big Blue.

The concert follows the band’s impressive performance at their State Evaluation for concert bands. The Concert Band and Symphonic Band performed almost perfect at the State Evaluation earning an Excellent rating in both of their concert performances and a Superior rating in their Sight Reading Performances. The Wind Ensemble earned all Superior rating in their concert performance and an Excellent rating in their Sight Reading performance. After the Evaluation the band immediately began preparing for their Spring Concert. All bands played three to four pieces that spanned a multitude of genres such as marches, contemporary, and even some jazz from the Blues Brothers.

The bands all gave their everything on the stage and did their very best to put on a wonderful concert. Angela James, a freshman, said,” My first year has been amazing and seeing the seniors leave was bittersweet.” After each band performed their selections the seniors stood and were recognized for all of their hard work and dedication for the past four years. Xian Mae Hadia, a senior, said,” I felt anxious and saddened because it was my last concert, but I also felt excited simultaneous to that. I love Mr. Arendale and the other band directors, Seeing us all together for one last concert was cathartic.” All of the band members came together to make this a special night for the seniors.

Thanks to all who came out to support the band and the Beard family.