• Try outs for Ten Little Chipmunks Wednesday, August 16th and Thursday, August 17th!

• Check out upcoming events on our homepage!

The student news site of Warren Central High School

Norsestar Newspaper

Get Active!

Schuyler Byrd, Editor

There are many wonderful clubs to join here at WC! Clubs keep students engaged in the community and even help college application. Here’s a list of clubs students can join, be asked to join, or apply for:

MuAlphaTheta – Mr Wong and Mrs Strong

The national junior college and High School math honors society
How do you join? – Students can fill out a form if they’re interested and must have a B average in all of their math classes. Dues: $15 Members are required to perform service hours, supports the local food pantry, shoe box, the toy drive, and relay for life among others. They participate in two math competitions a year. Meetings are the second and fourth Wednesdays of the month at 8am in rm 404.       

National Honors Society – Mrs Hodnet, Mrs Godfrey, Mr Wong, and Mrs Brewer

NHS is an academic club for students with a 3.2 GPA and above. The club is very active in the community, requiring kids to volunteer for community activities in order to remain in the club. They host many activities throughout the year. Juniors with a 3.2 and above with no discipline record will be offered membership at the end of the 2017-2018 school year.

First Priority – Mr Wong

First Priority is a student led Christian club. They prepare devotions and lead discussions on christian faith. They meet on the first and third Wednesday at 8am in rm 404. There are no dues this year, and it’s open to anyone that wants to be a part of it.     

Beta Club – Mrs Fuller

Beta Club is a service based organization that believes in leadership through service hours. To join, sign up for it and pass the requirements: 3.0 or above gpa and teacher recommendation from a teacher. Indications in the next couple of weeks. They’re visiting local junior highs after Christmas to promote to encourage incoming 9th graders, helping at the local animal shelter.

Spanish Club – Mrs Rinicker

Student lead club to promote learning of spanish culture and language

We connect international affairs through the promotion of helping in the community and learning from them which in turn exposes students to international affairs. The club is also extend by collaborating with the French students, fundraisers, field trips and visit senior homes and visit serve and cheer senior homes. Student must have good discipline standing and fill out a form which must be approved by parents.     

Drama Club – Fairchild

A student run organization to help promote the drama community and get students involved in theatre arts. They put on the Student-Faculty Talent Show, Fall and Spring musical, and help with the spring musical. The next Drama Club meeting is Wednesday, August 23rd in room 101A. Please show up with $7 dues!

Tea Club – Esparza

Student led club to support and bring together the LGBTQA+ and straight students. It will provide a safe place to socialize and create a platform to fight racial, gender, queer, and economic justice; as well as educate and serve Warren Central. The next meeting is Thursday, August 17th in the conference hall. No dues are needed.

TSA – Hodnett

TSA stands for Technology Student Association, which is a national technology association for any kids interested in technology. Any student that has taken any type of technology class is eligible to apply for membership. Must have a good attitude and willing to work. TSA is a competition club and go to the Central Region Conference. February is the first round of the competition and hold most events. The next meet is in April and determines who is eligible for nationals in June. This year, it is in Florida.  

FTA – Mrs Smythe

FTA stands for future teachers of America. The dues are $5. They meet in the mornings during homerooms. FTA’s goal is to promote the teacher profession.
Special Events: Basketball Special Olympics, host 100 elementary children for this event. Sponsor annual special prom. Sponsor Mississippi Magic Wheelchair team vs Male Members of FTA.

GIVE – Mayfields

Gentlemen of intelligence, valor, and excellence. Community service club for young men. $5 dues and you must sign a contract stating to keep grades up, be respectful, and participate. They meet on the second Thursday morning of every month. GIVE’s activities are the Teacher vs Club basket ball game, you drive, and community volley ball game

Key Club – Ezparza

A service organization associated with the Kiwanis club. We do service projects to help the community. The goal of Key Club is to develop leadership, to serve the school and community, and to prepare for useful citizenship. They are currently working on a can food drive and fundraiser to sell bumped stickers with new logo. Come see Mrs Ezparza. Dues are $25.

Chick-fil-a Leader Academy – Rainer

Chick-fil-a Leader Academy is a club you can join through application. The dates for application are unknown at this time but will be updated in the future. Within Chick-fil-a Leader Academy, students learn leadership skills they can use to better the community and host a volunteer program to help the community at the end of the year.

Clubs are a great way to get active and make new friends! Join a club today!